We were blessed with an evening snow on Wednesday. Not just any snow…the most beautiful, big snowflakes fell right after dark.
My youngest children had just been tucked into bed, but the announcement of snow, had them jumping up and running outside…which started a snowball fight on the front porch. Notice the older children don’t even have on coats. Even Papa made a few balls of his own–good memories!!
In the morning, it was warm enough to have clear roads, but the snow blanketed everything. It was just beautiful.
Of course, Thursday morning wasn’t just any morning, it was Joshua’s 17th birthday!
Paul and I took him to breakfast at the local Cracker Barrel.
What a blessing to us both to sit with him and enjoy some time laughing, and sharing thoughts on his new year.
He is a joy!!
We returned home to bake his birthday cake. I decided to up-size the cake this year. The 8″ rounds just don’t seem to stretch like they did when the family was smaller. This cake was a little too big…..but it was fun to make!
Courtney, Jessica and I worked for a while to make it just perfect for him and we have enough left-overs to feed a small army. Want to stop by for a visit?? 😀
In the end, he received birthday wishes from many special people and calls from thoughtful Grandparents. He opened gifts, ate homemade pizza and had what will be, I hope a memorable day.
A little ham that I couldn’t keep out of almost every picture….
- We’ve all been sick for weeks now. Paul, I think, has gotten the worst of it–he’s been sick for almost a week. He was up most of the night feeling horrible. He doesn’t have the luxury of resting as he should during times like this and I think he may be headed for the doctor today at some point. Please pray for him.
- Joshua, as he’s preparing to take his first college equivalency exam.
- Courtney, is making plans and praying for direction…
- Jacob is studying to take his driver’s permit test. Lots going on around here…
Today I’m Thankful For
- Lovely snow on the ground outside of the office window
- Time with Paul this week (though he’s not been feeling well)
- I’m still admiring work finished in the backyard…plans are already being made the tasks to be accomplished today. I can’t wait!!
- Gardening plans for spring
- Children that woke up on time and had their morning chores done before I had finished my shower. Now that’s a blessing!!
Today’s Scripture Meditation
“Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs.” – 1 Corinthians 13:4-5
With my love,
1 thought on “February 11, 2011”
Happy birthday, old boy! (Such a life-changing difference it is being one day older, isn’t it?)